What do I do if I loaned my vehicle to someone and they will not return it?
If you have loaned your vehicle to another person to drive and this person does not return the vehicle, certain documentation is required to report the car stolen. Since the vehicle is being operated with permission of the owner, this permission needs to be rescinded. Send a letter to the person via Registered Mail-Return Receipt. The language of the letter should include:

"Your permission to operate this vehicle is rescinded. You are to stop operating the vehicle immediately. Park the vehicle legally and notify me of the location, so I may recover it. If you fail to comply with these instructions, I will report the vehicle as stolen." (Including language that instructs the borrower to return the vehicle implies further permission to operate the vehicle.) The letter should also include a description of the vehicle including the year, make, model, color, license plate number and VIN.

Keep a copy of the letter and post office documents needed to send it. After the letter has been mailed, you will either receive proof of delivery or the letter will be returned by the post office as unclaimed.

If you are not successful in getting your vehicle back, call the CHPD at 727-5500 or come to the CHPD to report the vehicle as stolen. You will be required to appear in person and sign the theft report since this is a borrowed vehicle case and supporting documents are necessary to be given to the officer. You must also be willing to press charges and testify in court against the person to whom you loaned the vehicle.

Show All Answers

1. Which fire department responds to Citrus Heights?
2. How do I check for criminal activity in my neighborhood?
3. What do I do if I loaned my vehicle to someone and they will not return it?
4. Do dispatchers have to attend an academy similar to officers?
5. Can I find out why my neighbor was arrested?
6. How do I schedule a Ride-Along?
7. How do I file a complaint against a Citrus Heights Police Department employee?
8. Should I use an Online Reporting Form?