- General Services Department
- Community Services
- Residential Garbage & Recycling Services
- Commercial & Multi-family Unit Recycling
Commercial & Multi-family Unit Recycling
Last Content Update:
Citrus Heights Municipal Code
The City of Citrus Heights adopted the requirements of AB 341, AV 827, and SB 1383 into its Municipal Code (No. 2020-008) on September 10, 2020. Garbage collection service is mandatory for all homes and buildings.
State law Assembly Bill (AB) 939 requires that 50% of the waste generated in Citrus Heights be diverted away from landfills. There are 3 ways to accomplish this:
- Source Reduction - a preventive approach; reducing the amount of waste generated in the first place
- Recycling - using materials and products that are recyclable, and recycling them instead of throwing them in the trash
- Compost Programs
Under state law AB 341, businesses generating 4 cubic yards or more of commercial garbage per week must arrange for recycling services with one of the City's franchised commercial haulers.
Additionally, multi-family properties with five or more units must arrange for recycling services.
Beginning January 1, 2022, all businesses will be required to subscribe to recycling services under state law Senate Bill (SB) 1383.
As of July 1, 2020, AB 827 requires all businesses (except full-service restaurants) to provide organics and recycling bins at the front-of-the-house to collect food scraps and recycling.
Please see the CalRecycle Resource Page and FAQ Page for additional information.
Commercial Organic Waste and Recycling Temporary Exemptions
Organic Waste Temporary Exemption
Reasons for alternative organic waste compliance or exemption may include, but are not limited to:
- Your business shares an organic waste cart with a neighboring business
- Your business produces less that 20 gallons of organic waste per week
- You may self-haul your organics or have a service, such as a landscaper, that hauls for you
Recycling Temporary Exemption
Reasons for alternative recycling compliance or exemption may include, but are not limited to:
- Your service is provided by a hauler other than your garbage hauler
- Your business shares a recycling bin
- You may self-haul recycling, but you must retain the weight tickets provided by the recycling company
Commercial Recycling Compliance Inspections
To obtain a temporary recycling exemption, a site inspection is required. This visit takes approximately 15 minutes in which a city employee will confirm that the business has a recycling plan in place, as required by AB 341 (business recycling) and AB 1826 (organics waste recycling). The inspector will also educate the business to help ensure that recyclables are properly separated and managed, that there is proper signage, and that employees are knowledgeable regarding commercial recycling requirements.
Commercial business can use this form to apply for organic and/or recycling exemptions: Alternative Compliance or Temporary Exemption
Temporary Exemption of Service
RESIDENTIAL property owners can apply for a temporary exemption of garbage and recycling service due to an extended absence from the residence.
The application form and instructions can be found here: Temporary Exemption Form
Garbage service exemptions are NOT to be used for properties on the market for sale, or for rental properties.
For more information, please contact the General Services Department at 916-727-4770 or by email GeneralServices@citrusheights.net .
Garbage, Recycling & Organic Recycling Service Providers
The following companies are franchised garbage and recycling service providers for the City of Citrus Heights:
- Advance Disposal, Inc. - 916-444-8676
- Atlas Disposal Industries, LLC - 916-455-2800
- Greenwaste of Sacramento - 916-429-9900
- Republic Services - 916-631-0600
- Waste Management of Sacramento- 209-369-8274
- Waste Removal and Recycling - 916-453-1400
Companies Offering Recycling Services
- AAA Services - 916-600-3400
- C & C Green Services - 916-806-8696
- California Electronic Asset Recovery (CEAR) - 916-388-1777
- International Paper - 916-371-4634
- Modern Waste Solutions - 916-339-3676
- Recycling Industries, Inc. - 916-452-3961
- Rock-Tenn Recycling and Waste Solutions - 916-381-3340
- Sacramento Regional Conservation Corps - 916-386-8394
- Sims Recycling Solutions, Inc. - 916-772-5681
- Southside Unlimited - 916-387-8080
- Spencer Building Maintenance - 916-992-1900