Residential Plan Requirements


The following lists the minimum requirements for a residential project. In unique situations, additional materials may be necessary. Geotechnical and soils reports are required for new buildings.

Who May Prepare Plans

State law regulating the architectural and engineering professions describes who may prepare plans for buildings. View the Who May Prepare Plans (PDF) for additional information.

Registered Civil Engineers or Certified Architect

Registered civil engineers or certified architects shall prepare plans for retaining walls over 4 feet in height, plans for all types of buildings other than those listed in the minimum requirements, or as required by the building official.

Signature on Plans

State law requires that the person who prepared the plans must sign all pages. The city building code also requires an address and telephone number of the person who prepared the plans. Please inquire at the Building and Safety Division if you have any further questions concerning submittal requirements for a specific project.

Minimum Requirements

  1. Plans
    View Residential Plan Requirements (PDF) for more information.
  2. Plot Plans (PDF)
    View the Plot Plan Requirements (PDF) for additional information.
  3. Floor Plans (PDF)
    View the Floor Plan Requirements (PDF) for additional information.
  4. Exterior Elevation Drawings (PDF)
    View the Exterior Elevation Drawing Requirements (PDF) for additional information.
  5. Foundation and Floor Framing Plans (PDF)
    View the Foundation and Floor Framing Requirements (PDF) for additional information.
  6. Roof Framing Plans (PDF)
    View the Roof Framing Plan Requirements (PDF) for additional information.
  7. Cross-Section Drawings (PDF)
    View the Cross-Section Drawing Plan Requirements (PDF) for additional information.
  8. Title 24 Energy Documentation (PDF)
  9. Smoke Detector Requirements
    On all plans for additions, interior alterations, or interior repairs over $1,000, smoke detectors are required on each floor.
  10. Structural Plans and Calculations (PDF)
  11. Conditions of Approval
    Where applicable, include Planning Commission Notice of Action letter for all conditions imposed in the approval of a variance, a use permit, a subdivision, or design review.
  12. Encroachment Permit 
    This permit is required for all work performed in the right-of-way.
  13. Soils Report
    A report is required for all new construction. This report may be required for other work at the discretion of the building official.
  14. Record of Survey (PDF)
  15. Other Department and Agency Approvals (PDF)
  16. School Impact Fees (PDF)
    School impact fees are required to be paid prior to a building permit being issued. After the initial plan review, we will provide the applicant with a compliance letter to take to the school district to pay these fees if they are due.
    School fees are paid to the San Juan Unified School District at: 3738 Walnut Avenue
    Carmichael, CA 95608
  17. Sewer Connection and Impact Fees (PDF)
    Sewer connection and impact fees are required to be paid prior to a building permit being issued for a new sewer connection. Sewer connection and impact fees are paid to Sacramento Regional County Sanitation District and may be reached at 916-876-6063.
  18. Building Inspection Requests
    When requesting a building inspection, please visit the building inspection page for assistance.


The city began using International Building Codes in January 2008. For additional information, refer to the Structural Design Criteria page.