Home Buying Assistance
The Citrus Heights First-Time Homebuyer Program is a Down Payment Assistance Program. If you want to purchase a home within the City of Citrus Heights but need assistance with financing the down payment, you may be eligible for a low-interest loan for up to $40,000 through this program.
- Low-Interest. The low-interest loan is structured as a second mortgage. The loan will have a rate of 3.00%, a term of 30 years with no required monthly payments. The total sum of the loan, with interest, will be due at the end of the 30-year term, upon sale or transfer of the property or if the borrower no longer occupies the home as their primary residence.
- Learn to be a successful homeowner. In addition to securing the purchase of your home, you’ll benefit from the required home buyer education that will inform you about the purchase process, as well as tips about financial management and home maintenance.
- The property must be located within the City of Citrus Heights. The property may be a single-family detached, condominium, or halfplex. Multi-unit structures and mobile homes are not eligible. Foreclosed, bank-owned homes (REOs) and short sales are also permitted
- Must be vacant at the close of escrow
- Maximum price does not exceed Sacramento County median ($339,900 as of April 1, 2018)
- Home inspection is required
- First-time homebuyer, no ownership in the previous three years (exceptions apply)
- Will occupy property as principal residence
- Household annual gross income must be at or below low-income limits
Program Interest Form
2022 Income Limits
Income limits are according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Updated as of April 18, 2022.
Other Programs & Resources
The FannieMae Foundation’s Home Buying Guide has very good booklets on homeownership. This booklet is available at City Hall at no charge.
Housing Finance Agency
The State of California Housing Finance Agency (CalHFA) has handy online calculators to determine your mortgage payment and the home price you can afford. CalHFA offers several program that may be used with CalHFA loans and as stand-alone assistance. some of these programs may be combined with Citrus Heights programs.
Sacramento Housing & Redevelopment Agency
Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency (SHRA) offers the American Dream Down-Payment Initiative and Mortgage Credit Certificate programs that may be used in Citrus Heights and may be layered with the Citrus Heights Down Payment Assistance.